This website contains all materials used in BIOL 01301 Fall 2020 at Rowan University with Dr. Spielman. This course meets remotely Monday and Thursday 2-3:15 pm and Wednesday 3:30-6:15 pm. Zoom links can be found in Canvas. All grading and assignment submissions (unless otherwise stated) will be hosted on Canvas, but course materials will be posted on this site and/or within the rstudio.cloud BIOL01301 workspace.
Key documents and links
- Instructions for using google calendar
- Download the course syllabus.
- #TidyTuesday Extra Credit Instructions
Online Books and Resources
- Twitter for R programmers
- Geared towards programmers but serves as a great general “welcome to the Twitter #rstats community”!
- Fundamentals of Data Visualization by Claus O. Wilke
- R for Data Science by Garrett Grolemund and Hadley Wickham
- Data Visualization: A practical Introduction by Kieran Healy
tidyversehomepage, official documentation, and cheatsheets
- STAT545 Resources (EXCELLENT background)
- Introduction to Data Science e-book
- RStudio Resources (all levels of videos/tutorials)
- Calling Bullshit Course Website by Carl Bergstrom and Jevin West
Class Schedule and Materials
Materials are subject to change up until the Monday of the EACH week. Below is a ROUGH OUTLINE of what we’ll be doing.
|1||W 9/2||Introduction and logistics||None||None||Assigned: Fill out the class survey (link on Canvas) TODAY if you have not yet done so|
|2||R 9/3||Student introductions||None||None||None|
|3||W 9/9||Introduction to R, Part I||None||Introduction to R Tutorial||ASSIGNED: “Introduction to R” due Wednesday 9/16/20 by 3:00 pm to Canvas
Copy/paste this SINGLE LINE (looks like 2 or 3 - it’s only 1!!) into the TERMINAL tab in RStudio Cloud to get the assignment:
Video: How to do the HW in RStudio Cloud
|4||R 9/10||Introduction to R, Part II||Interactive Exercises: Intro to R||Same as W 9/9||None|
|5||M 9/14||Introduction to R, Part III||Finish Thursday 9/10 exercises||None||None|
|6||W 9/16||Miscellaneous R’ing, and Introduction to the “grammar of graphics”||Slides||Chapters 1-5 from Fundamentals of Data Visualization||Assignment #2 due Wednesday 9/23/20 by 3:00 pm to Canvas|
|7||R 9/17||Grammar of graphics||Slides from 9/16, continued||None||None|
|8||M 9/21||Introduction to data
|9||W 9/23||Introduction to data
|10||R 9/24||Open work day|